A letter to my friends.....

Five years ago my nephew Tyler suddenly began having seizures. During a recent stay at Children’s Hospital, Tyler was diagnosed with a large brain tumor that is believed to have been causing the seizures all these years.
Tyler is 15 and loves sports, especially wrestling, fishing, hunting, gaming and hanging out with his friends. Right now, though, he cannot do many of those treasured things that boys his age get to do. Worst of all, Tyler is currently unable to attend school. He is a sweet-natured boy with a tender heart. When people meet him they cannot help but instantly like him.
His long term treatment will require major surgery along with recovery and rehabilitation. His rehabilitation will require him to relearn all of the basics of life you and I know how to do and many of us take for granted each day. To help defray some of the costs that his family will incur, I have determined to undertake this "Scraps of Love" project.
How did all this come to be? During an outing with a dear friend, I asked "what do you think of a spaghetti dinner?". She said "Oh, no Heather, lets make a quilt!" I instantly agreed. What better way to spread our love than through our stitches. With the help of some very talented quilting friends, I am creating a twin size quilt that will be raffled off to raise money that will help offset Tylers non-insurance-covered hospital expenses. Elizabeth D. won the quilt!
Donations of any size are very welcome.

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Scraps of Love for Tyler grows...

Hi everyone,
I want to share my work space that I have set up and share a sneak peak at the squares that are starting to form.  There are 8 pieces that form one 10" square, and does the word 'whimsical' pop into anyone else's mind too? 

This project is helping me to put my energy, love and hope into every stitch. I am sure that you can understand.  There have been many times since the doctor told us that Tyler would require major brain surgery that our whole family has been overwhelmed with the "not knowing" and the desire to do more than wait.  This project serves so many purposes for me and my family from the use of excess energy to letting my hopes and dreams for Tyler take shape but most of all allowing my family a way to express themselves about what is happening in a safe environment.

I would love to hear your thoughts and experiences as well.
All my love,
Heather

2 comments:

  1. Heather, the quilt is really coming along and looks beautiful...I have known Tyler since he was alittle boy and he is very special and kind hearted...I feel for him and hope that if there is anything I can do to help you let me know...

    All my love
    Barb (Aunt Barbie)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbie, thank you so much fir your support. Tyler counts you as one of his aunties too. Love you

    ReplyDelete