A letter to my friends.....

Five years ago my nephew Tyler suddenly began having seizures. During a recent stay at Children’s Hospital, Tyler was diagnosed with a large brain tumor that is believed to have been causing the seizures all these years.
Tyler is 15 and loves sports, especially wrestling, fishing, hunting, gaming and hanging out with his friends. Right now, though, he cannot do many of those treasured things that boys his age get to do. Worst of all, Tyler is currently unable to attend school. He is a sweet-natured boy with a tender heart. When people meet him they cannot help but instantly like him.
His long term treatment will require major surgery along with recovery and rehabilitation. His rehabilitation will require him to relearn all of the basics of life you and I know how to do and many of us take for granted each day. To help defray some of the costs that his family will incur, I have determined to undertake this "Scraps of Love" project.
How did all this come to be? During an outing with a dear friend, I asked "what do you think of a spaghetti dinner?". She said "Oh, no Heather, lets make a quilt!" I instantly agreed. What better way to spread our love than through our stitches. With the help of some very talented quilting friends, I am creating a twin size quilt that will be raffled off to raise money that will help offset Tylers non-insurance-covered hospital expenses. Elizabeth D. won the quilt!
Donations of any size are very welcome.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

1,500 Children a Year in the US are Diagnosed with a Brain Tumor


Thanks so much to all those that are helping spread the word about Scraps of Love for Tyler.   It is wonderful to see how many of you who want to help!

All of his Aunties, Uncles, Grandparents, Brothers, Mom, Dad, Cousins, and Friends are all so grateful to have Tyler in our lives.  Our hopes for him are without end and that especially includes a long healthy life.

Last night, I did some google searches on brain tumors in children.  I learned that 1,500 children a year in the US are diagnosed with a brain tumor.  Startling, huh? This has been such a scary process for us, and I feel for each child and each family and pray that they are able to find the support that they need.  It also sparked a desire in my heart to think how to expand Scraps of Love for Tyler as a charity in the future to support other families and to pass along the goodwill that we are receiving.  I do not know what this will look like, but the seed is planted.  I'd love to hear your thoughts on this idea!

Last night I finished the matching of the last piece for the 10" squares and the quilt is really moving along.  This is such a fun process.  I simply laid all the fabric out and moved the squares around until I determined the best fit.  Here is a picture so that you can see what I mean.
All of my love,
Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment